"The Independent Media centre is a grassroots organization committed to using media production and distribution as a tool for promoting social and economic justice. It is our goal to further the self-determination of people under-represented in media production and content, and to illuminate and analyze local and global issues that impact ecosystems, communities and individuals. We seek to generate alternatives to the biases inherent in the corporate media controlled by profit, and to identify and create positive models for a sustainable and equitable society."
— IMC Seattle
The Aotearoa Independent Media Centre (AIM) ethos:
- We AIM to provide a decentralised internet media forum for voices and viewpoints currently suppressed or distorted by the commercial imperatives of corporate and government-backed media
- We AIM to create "virtual" and real-life networks between grass roots community groups and non-profit NGOs
- We AIM to open access to media technology so all groups can speak for themselves
- We AIM to promote the participation of citizens in social, environmental and political issues that affect communities at local, national and global levels
- We take AIM at profit-driven media and its manipulation of the public mind
- We believe that people taking back their voices is both vital to empowering individuals to define themselves as citizens rather than consumers, and creating sustainable communities.